Monday, December 6, 2010

What You Might Find In My Closet

Spaces between clothes hangers.  A few sweaters.  Jeans I must fold on the bottoms. The box fan that drowns out nighttime noise.  My deep purple high school exercise mat.  The extensive CD collection I once prized.  On the top shelf, stacks of journals filled with free-writing and childlike jokes.

You might hear the scrape of words that can't be returned and the sound of a gate that clanged.  Anger without reason.  The criticisms I've collected that I sometimes use to color in my portrait.

The poems I did not write.  A secret kindness towards myself.  Dreams I have yet to realize.  The compliments I've thought but have not said.  Confidence that is waiting in the spaces.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this, so poignant and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete