Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Sculpture Inspired A Poem That Inspired A Painting

When I write, I can taste the words.  I see the colors they hold within them.  I try to express my thoughts with as much detail as possible, but not get too wordy. I want the images I write to appear in the writers' mind like clear sight, not a blurry photograph, not an abstraction.

And so I decided to combine the two things I love most: colors and poetry, to create a poem-painting.

My plan is to open up an Etsy shop once I have enough of them. 

The poem I wrote was inspired by a sculpture at the Metropolitan Museum called "The Sun Vow."

The background information is as follows:

“Before a boy on the threshold of manhood could be accepted as a warrior of his tribe, he must shoot an arrow directly into the sun. If the chieftain judging the boy’s prowess was so blinded by the sun’s rays that he could not follow the flight of the arrow, then the youth…had passed the test.”

The Sun Vow

11 comments:

  1. I have the goosebumps from the words, legend, painting, and rite of passage. I'm thinking of my sons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful expression of your art. And even more so that it was inspired by a third piece, the sculpture. It definitely brings a new dimension to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your paintings. It helps to understand your poetms better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words and art make a perfect combination. Your words and those colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade, what wonderful words "when i write i can taste the words" and such a beautiful poem painting too. Good luck with opening your shop. Thank you so much for visiting my blog & your messages x x ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is brilliant!! What a great idea to better be able to express the things you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. I like the combination of color/words. Adds a nice bit of depth...

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beautiful. i love your words :)
    so glad i stumbled across your blog, i can already see you are a kindred spirit!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete