Monday, February 14, 2011

Loving Kindness Practice

While it is still dark, I pause in front of my little altar and light a lavender candle.  My prayer begins with calming breaths.  I know that today is St. Valentine's Day, and so after the calming breaths, I practice loving kindness.

First, I envision myself and think these words:
May I be well
May I be happy
May I be free
May I feel loved
I then envision someone I love, someone I find easy to love.  I can imagine them smiling and feeling content.  And I think:
May you be well
May you be happy

May you be free
May you feel loved

Next I envision a neutral person, someone I don't know too well.  This person could be a neighbor, or a cashier, or another passenger on a train.  And I repeat the same words.

Finally, I envision someone I don't like very much.  The same words I thought for the person I love, I give to them, with whatever intensity I can at this time.  I think about how the people who hurt us are usually hurting themselves.  This allows me to feel compassionate towards them, but at the same time, I don't make excuses for their actions.

Finally, I imagine all of us together and silently say:
May we be well
May we be happy
May we be free

May we feel loved
Happy Valentine's Day!

12 comments:

  1. Wishing you much the same ... Wellness, happiness, freedom and love. Happy Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great meditation exercise. I need to try this, let me tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are just too kind, dear :)
    I envision you...
    May you be well
    May you be happy
    May you be free
    May you feel loved

    Happy V-day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely meditation and incredible sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...that's a great meditation... A good learning for me today. Thank you, thank you!!!

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never actually meditated before - but I really like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne, Thank you :-) Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day.

    Angela, Glad you found it interesting and something you'd like to try!

    Haze, thank you, that is very sweet :)

    Lené Gary, thanks! It was an amazing sight in person.

    Doris, It is always nice to learn something new. I'm happy you could find that on my blog.

    Melee, Great, maybe you'll have a first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, thank you Jade. I'm going to practice it. I love the progression...probably couldn't begin with those thoughts for someone you don't like. You begin by loving yourself and that love continues to spread, just beautiful.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was great. I did it this morning while looking at a candle. (I even thought of my ex-husband.) Your photo is a gorgeous Valentine's sky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andie, that is so true. Hope you enjoy the practice :-)

    Mary, Thank you! I also light a candle when I meditate. It helps me stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful meditation - such a wonderful way to shine light & spread love! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful thoughts - I hope they return to you in ten folds. :)

    ReplyDelete