Thursday, March 17, 2011

An End of Winter Walk in Brooklyn

What surprised me about my walk this afternoon was the amount of litter I came across when I was paying attention to it.  I saw a floss pick, a navy blue wool scarf and a turquoise blue shirt on the ground, and a white plastic bag hanging from a bare tree branch; graffiti on the mailbox.  Although I really dislike litter, these imperfections caught my attention and were somewhat interesting to observe.

Besides the ugly things, I noticed a lovely blue-green dolphin statue on a neighbor's front lawn, the dolphin pair leaping out in opposite directions, and a wooden giraffe in a window.  Birds I couldn't name chirped constantly (maybe I should learn about bird calls, although I don't exactly know where to begin.)  I listened to the sound of my footsteps, soft and quick.  There were sudden movements in the trees-- nothing visible. 

The air smelled of spring, wind-blown grass and maybe flowers, even though I didn't remember seeing any. 

I carried with me a former library book that was last checked out in May of 1969 and listened to Bach, Alles mit Gott.

11 comments:

  1. I would have loved to see pictures of all you saw, however, your words are very visual. And please tell me the name of the book you are reading that hadn't been checked out since May 1969, the very month and year I graduated from H.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sher, wow, that's an interesting coincidence! :) The book I'm reading is called "As the Earth Turns" by Gladys Hasty Carroll. It was given to me/recommended to me by my boyfriend's grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely in love with the way you described your walk. So simple and so beautiful. It makes me excited for when it warms up enough here in Idaho to go on walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your observations, Jade! They are so wonderful. :)

    I've always thought it would be so cool to learn bird calls but I've never pursued it. Younger Brother #2 is the birdwatcher in our family and marks all the birds he sees in a book. Maybe I should encourage him to learn birdcalls so I can live vicariously through him... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jade! Just wanted to say welcome to the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful imagery and love that book coincidence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great walk..and I love the title of this post. It's like all of your senses have reawakened after the long, cold winter. Happy Spring Jade!
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind comment, dear. Your blog is so sweet and insightful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate seeing litter too, but as you say it can be interesting sometimes! The dolphin statue sounds lovely. There are some good websites if you want to learn birdsong by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the checkout cards from libraries. You used to be able to see who checked out the book and when. It was like the story of the book and who had been inside its covers.

    ReplyDelete