Monday, April 11, 2011

Intimidation

At times I find myself intimidated by other people.  It could be a question that causes defensiveness to rise up inside, a statement about something I might have done wrong, or possibly having made a mistake.

When one is faced with an intimidating person, one may react by listing a series of excuses for the action in a very nervous way, or come up with a series of reasons why he or she is so great and insult the other person, in an aggressive manner.  These are two extremes, and neither of them are ideal.

When I read the gospels, I see that Jesus was right in the middle.  He didn't make nervous or intimidated excuses to those who accused him.  He didn't say to the Pharisees, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I'm really not the Son of God." On the other hand, he was a gentle person who could be harsh at times, but out of love, a tough love for all people.

May I not become intimidated by other people.  May I know that I am a deeply cherished child of God.  If God is for me, who can be against me?, my heart sings.  May I not be too hard on myself, if I find myself acting out of intimidation or fear.  If I make an aggressive remark to another, may I be forgiven and feel forgiven by you, Lord.  Amen.

13 comments:

  1. How well I know that feeling of intimidation.

    Nice A to Z post today. Good I word.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often found that the very act of intimidation is a form of insecurity, and so it de-fuses the intimidation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lucy. :)
    Great point, Joanne. I've never looked at that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a beautiful prayer! I admire your ability to relate life with scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I agree with Joanne. It's our own insecurities that make the other person seem intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if it is the fact that Jesus continually submits to his Father means that there is no-one else who has power over him - therefore what is there to be afraid of? There's a saying - to kneel before the Lord is to stand before the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intimidation, I suspect we all feel it at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel less intimated as I'm getting older. I guess that's good :-)

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Jade, lovely prayer. I'm afraid I shall be retiring from the internet soon. I want to thank your inspiring posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't amazing how some people can just unravel us? I think that Joanne is right on, but it means that we have to step away and look objectively, and that's not always easy to do. Great post Jade.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good you you're likening the scriptures to your life. And I think responding with love when we feel intimidated is one of the hardest things, because the first thing we feel is fear, and fear is the opposite of love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! Thanks for this post. :D

    ReplyDelete