Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wild Dancers (written in 2005)

I clutch my wooden paint brush,
newspapers cover the tiled floor.
To the blue plastic easel
to the blank paper,
I lift my gaze.

These thoughts, these wild dancers
whirl and spin,
gather color
and gain speed:

sunlight and sandy beaches,
soap bubbles and swimming pools,
bubble baths and baby shampoo,
band-aids and ballet shoes,
wax crayons and wooden toys,
wild flowers and wet grass.

Stiff bristles soften in water,
ideas lift from the tip of my brush
thoughts scatter across the page:
these water-colored memories.

Satisfied, I unclip the painting.
My wild dancer thoughts
tiptoe behind the curtain.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, expressive words x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 3rd stanza! Incredible imagery!
    And I love the last bit -
    My wild dancer thoughts
    tiptoe behind the curtain.


    Great personification!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What can I say but an echo of the others: this has marvelous imagery!
    I love your comparing of inspired thoughts to wild dancers. That is so true! When inspired I often feel like my thoughts pull me along into a frenzied dance. I don't think, I just dance along. At the end I am left exhausted, overly warm and very satisfied. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely imagery, i like the idea of inspiration being made up of dancing thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. "My wild dancer thoughts
    tiptoe behind the curtain."

    Love this. Breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this is so beautiful. <3 It makes me want to paint (even though I don't like painting and really prefer drawing, haha). I love the thought of thoughts as wild dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I LOVE this poem! I love the alliteration, and the vibrant images. Especially the image of the brush scattering ideas across the page... poetry and art - don't you think these two should get married?? They make such a wonderful pair! Jade, thank you for sharing your beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete