Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Believe

"Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,
because I am going to the Father.
And whatever you ask in my name, I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."
(John 14:12-13)

Belief in spiritual matters is different from knowing tangible facts; it involves a will or a choice.  I know that I am alive.  I know that I'm breathing.  These things come willingly to me because I observe them.  But do I know that God is alive, that I am loved? Now this is much more difficult.  I can't prove God's existence because it is a spiritual matter.  Yet somehow his existence is linked to my breathing, linked to my beating heart.  That is where I sense it. 

Even without the physical evidence of God today, even through the mysteries, the pain, the why would God allow this and this? A choice can be made to follow, to believe without seeing, to trust and to love the one who I hope to someday see face to face.

If I believe, my limits are lessened.  My potential is even greater.  Perhaps God gives us more power than we realize.  If I truly believe these words Jesus spoke and ask in his name, I will open my eyes to my own miracles.  Yes, miracles.  I can step beyond my many fears.  I can heal others and myself.  My Christ-light will guide my life's path and uncover concealed truths.

This doesn't mean I'll always get what I think I want.  When we ask in Jesus' name, we don't simply say the words, "In Jesus' name," but we imply that we want what Jesus wants as well.  Asking in Jesus' name is not an empty prayer ritual, but is a way of surrendering to the greatest good, an act of dedication to God.

If you'd like, join me in this prayer:

Thank you, Lord, for the greatness of what I am about to do by your strength.  Thank you for loving me through my doubts and limitations.  Help me to dismiss the lies of my own inner critic, the doubtful intellect (this is too impossible), and follow through with the desires you have planted in my heart.

Lord Jesus, I believe in you.
Lord Jesus, I hope in you.
Lord Jesus, I love you.

Amen.

12 comments:

  1. I love this verse! We've been studying the gospel of John and I read this right after some Easter cooking fiasco (I spilled an entire pot of soup cooked after 18 hours into my car).

    I found this verse the next morning and just was so refreshed from the tired body and spirit. Can't explain it but it did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say Jade - two Amen's - it can't get any clearer than that - it is up to us to have the faith to ask and to trust the Father to know what it is we are really asking for...
    blessings m+x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!
    All my life, I believed, but never completely trusted God. It's hard to give ourselves completely to him and rely on him, but it's worth it. When I do, I feel free and happy.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed to read this today.
    Thank you.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. exquisite. this very verse was on my mind today, and I believe it with all my heart. your post is dear - and true. His plans for us are truly so good - too bad we tend to limit ourselves!

    peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord Jesus, I believe in you.
    Lord Jesus, I hope in you.
    Lord Jesus, I love you.

    Amen. Amen.

    *thank you, dear, for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, I am joining you in prayer:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friend,great post you have here.It's really nice to be back once more to your lovely blog.
    Hope you good.It has been a while we since connected so I decided to pass by and say hello and also let you know that, I have just posted the "5" steps to mind liberation so come check it up and comment. Will be following you and expecting to share and learn from you respectively.Have a wonderful and fruitful day hoping to hear from your lovely self again. A million thanks in advance.

    EBENEZER ADOKWEI
    (EBENDY)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've hit on the essence of faith here and it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Jade! I joined you in your prayer!
    Thanks for joining "Blogging for Jesus"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. <3 I have trouble believing oftentimes; I love the feeling of having faith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful prayer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete