Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Waiting Place

The Waiting Place explores pauses, the place between what we want and what is currently happening. Far from an over-generalized, cliched self-help book, The Waiting Place contains detailed "real life" stories from Button's life, a collection of essays that are connected by the theme of waiting. These stories are often really funny and suspenseful. It is the kind of book that is easy to read through quickly. When I finished it, I felt as though I had made a new friend because the author lets her personality shine in these stories. It is a "real" book, an "honest" book. I truly enjoyed it and I recommend it especially to restless people and those who are always checking the time.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this, various essays connected by a theme. Sounds interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a book I would love! Thanks for sharing it! I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both found it interesting. I should add, that this book is more about longer periods of waiting, such as while someone is ill/dying or when interviewing for a new job. There are some instances of more trivial waiting times. Most of these are contained in larger stories, the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete