Friday, July 1, 2011

Tea Ceremony (First Small Stone of the Month)

During the month of July, I am joining in on the river of stones.  Each day, I will have my "ears, eyes, nose, mouth, fingers and mind open."  I will "pay attention to what is within me and outside me".  With this awareness, I will write a short observational piece of writing (whether it be prose or poetry).

I also participated in this project in January.  January had me stressed because I was focusing on polishing amazing stones each time instead of on the act of paying attention and joyfully creating.  This month, I acknowledge that not every piece of writing I write will be likeable, but will be worth writing down.  Once the month is over, I will see if there is any more polishing I can do to these writings.

Here is my first observation in two parts.

i.
With steady hands, I drink my tea.
Leaf bits swirl and settle.
Liu Fang’s pipa music plays
quietly enough to hear the chickadees calling.

ii.
A rainbow circles the teapot base.
Half-full of green tea, the sunlit glass.
My heart leaps with pipa music
and my tea ceremony trails on
into the dawn.
_

Before taking out my pen and journal this morning, I carefully read through Fiona Robyn's book, How To Write Your Way Home.  I highly recommend it to anyone interested in writing small stones.

17 comments:

  1. this sounds like a wonderful and fulfilling idea. what you wrote is truly beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog my all standards..I really enjoyed my time reading it..Keep it coming..Hope u good.I just dropped another bomb of a poem on my blog so come check it out, comment and share with friends.Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yay! I love your stones. And your new way of approaching them sounds excellent - I know what it is to be caught up in trying to make everything I write a veritable masterpiece. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thea, Thank you. It is a fun adventure and it is great to see you here.

    Ebendy, Thanks for coming by and for your compliments. :)

    Melee, Trying to make everything a masterpiece really wore me out and made me want to quit so many times, so it's relieving to be more relaxed with writing them now. I'm glad you enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new approach, too--I've found that I like it better when I write what first comes to mind rather than trying to make it perfect.
    Just reading these gives me the happy, calm feeling of drinking green tea. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely imagery and a great idea to open yourself up to new writing. I have a mad month ahead but may decide to try it out in August when the school holidays are on (just to be different) will look forward to more stones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grace and clarity of your words invite the reader to experience what you see and hear. This site is a peaceful stop on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lumina, it is much more liberating and enjoyable to write that way, isn't it...
    I'm glad these words were able to give you that feeling :) <3

    Word in the Hand, Thanks...timing is important with certain projects, I agree. Would love to see some of your stones when you can write them.

    Mark, Thank you for visiting my blog and for your very thoughtful comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful site. So nice to meet you today. :) blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to have found you through WOWH - look forward to your samll stones for July.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely thoughts and strings of words

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. As a fellow writer, used to critiquing, I would suggest delete the word 'around' in line 2, as it is implied in 'swirl'.

    My recent post on humour and meditation may be of interest.

    cheers
    J.R. www.jrmaclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the image of the swirling tea. Jade, I've been a horrible blog friend lately. My kids are home and they're sucking away my time. But know, I miss coming here more, and that I really enjoyed having you featured on my blog. You're such a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Mary, Colleen, Sarah, Teri, and Shopgirl! :)

    J.R. MacLean, I've now updated this entry with your suggestion and think it was a great one, thanks again. :)

    Angela, It's always good to see you here and read your thoughts. <3 I understand though that everyone needs a little break from the blogs, whether voluntarily or involuntarily.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your words convey calmness and serenity.

    ReplyDelete