Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dear You

Dear You,
As I write this letter, I am trying to forget that you will read it, although I'd love to connect with you.  You see, when I'm writing and remember you, I want to hide the notebook under folders in my drawer, close the door, and meet you outside, arms crossed over my chest, a conscious smile on my face.  But if you mean much to me, which you do, I would be myself around you.  That means, sharing my thoughts candidly, but with courtesy.  If only I could set aside my shame (there, I said it), communicating with you would be so much easier. 

The truth is, if I always write for me alone, it becomes very quiet; only for you, and I abandon what I believe in, what I stand for, and the sacred in the secret things.

So I wish to find balance together.  Your kind words mean so much to me.  I believe it's possible to do this for God and for you and for myself simultaneously, to find some relief in letting go of criticisms, and honor the creative process as it is.

Now that I think about it, I don't want to forget that you are here.  But I would like to see you differently, perhaps more truthful to who you are.  What I want to forget is criticism, and myself as the rabbit frozen in place (maybe there's more bravery here than I admit.) 

Thank you for finding something valuable in the words I've written to you in the past.
Thank you for listening and for your respect always.

Sincerely,

Jade

*

In response to a prompt posted by Melee.  If you'd like to write your own letter,  feel free to write to whoever or whatever you'd like.  The only rules are that it begins with "Dear you" and that you use pronouns.

10 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. I am thinking about doing a post like this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, mckenzie... Looking forward to reading yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I really adore your blog by the way, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you after your wonderful comments that always make me smile :)

    xx Carina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. It is letting go of criticisms and judgements about ourselves and others that heals us and allows us to open up our creative spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carina, Thanks for coming by and commenting! :) Welcome.

    Mary, Very well said. It can be challenging but something worth committing to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a lot of honesty encased in those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to forget that you are here.

    Jade, this is really beautiful. That line that I copied took my breath away. much love!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your letter, Jade; it's beautiful, thought-provoking, and wonderfully frank. I knew you would write something noteworthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am inspired.
    You are one sweet human. I adore your soul x

    sweetness xx
    hope to hear from you*!
    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete