Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Surprise Discoveries

Sometime last year, I took home a library book and when I sat down to read it, flipped open the cover, out fell a worn prayer card.  I had never found anything tucked inside a library book except for the little stamped cards that tell when the book is due, so this was a nice surprise.  With a curious look, I read the prayer and was touched by it.  The prayer is written by Josemaria Escriva, a name I had not known before. 

The prayer is as follows:
Come, O Holy Spirit:
enlighten my understanding
to know your commands;
strengthen my heart
against the wiles of the enemy;
inflame my will...
I have heard your voice,
and I don't want to harden
my heart by resisting,
by saying 'later...tomorrow.'
Nunc coepi! Now!
Lest there be no tomorrow for me!
O, Spirit of truth and wisdom,
Spirit of understanding and counsel,
Spirit of joy and peace!
I want what you want,
I want it because you want it,
I want it as you want it,
I want it when you want it.
The library book has long been returned, but I kept the prayer card.  There has been a feeling that someone might have missed it, although I wasn't sure how I could return it to them.  Hopefully they had the prayer memorized and were not too upset about losing the card.

I love the idea of having enough faith in God that you are willing to give up what you think you want for his love, protection, and guidance.  I believe that to feel this way gives more freedom than any amount of possessions or status, a treasure of the mind and heart.

Besides the prayer card, I also found a laundry receipt in that same book.  (I no longer have the receipt.)

Prompt: Have you ever found anything inside a library book? Write about an unexpected discovery. 

12 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! Library books are the best places for finding delicious little slivers of strangers' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't found anything other than food crumbs and stains ;) Lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent prayer!

    I adore finding things in library books! The other week I found a nice, magnetic bookmark featuring a vintage lamp.
    Sometimes, I even leave pieces of paper with things written on them in library books. Just to add interest to other people's lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found a few newspaper clippings in library books but have found better treasures in used books I have bought--photographs, bookmarks, pressed flowers. I like Melee's idea of leaving things IN books for others to find. :)
    Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah. Good to see you here. :)

    Ab, that's what I've always found too! haha

    Melee, Such a great idea. The bookmark sounds lovely.

    Pam, Thanks for coming by! Must be so nice to open up a book and find a pressed flower inside... never found that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love the idea of leaving little quotes or messages behind. I think I have only found receipts, but it looks like the beautiful prayer found it's way to the right person! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jade, what a gift to have found that prayer. I haven't found anything but I have purchased used books that had been highlighted. I love to see what a previous reader thought important enough to highlight. It invites me to read those lines more carefully and it's always enlightening.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jade,
    During the Spring of 2010 I went to a used bookstore and found a book about a priest with a healing gift (Fr. Ralph DiOrio). I purchased it, brought it home, and when I opened the book a prayer cloth blessed by Fr. DiOrio and attached to a schedule of upcoming healing services fell out of the book. I started carrying the blessed prayer cloth around with me. The following month my brother called me to tell me he was taking me to a healing service by the same priest whose book I bought. I went to the service and was healed of a rare disease called Myasthenia Gravis. Talk about God leading the show! He had it all planned out for me! After my healing I passed the prayer cloth on to my Dad :)
    Enjoy your prayer card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful find! I can't say I recall every finding anything in a library book or a book from a used book store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should probably go to the library more if I want to find stuff in library books. Of the the things I've found, it's usually just papers, or mundane lists of stuff that doesn't matter. That's really cool what you found in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I opened a book from a house we bought (filled with books) to find it was not a book but an empty box inside. It was full of jewerly!

    ReplyDelete