Sunday, August 21, 2011

Swings

Do you remember the swings?  How we would fly.  The coolness in our throats.  I was freer then.  You're free now.  But it's different now.  The joy of going nowhere is nothing to me now. 

Oh, look, the clocks are blinking 12:00, how funny.  It can't be 12:00 for this long, can it?  Here, take this watch.  Wouldn't you rather hold hands?  It's too heavy and rusty.  But it tells the right time. 

Enough of this.  I'll race you back to the swings.  There's a chance we'll be friends again once we get there.

9 comments:

  1. I love this post; it's perfectly whimsical and sweet. Swings are one of my absolute favourite things. (A few years ago, my dad built us a 12 ft. swingset in our yard. It's wonderful since it can be used by "adults" as well as kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. I feel like bringing the boys to the park and swinging myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The joy of going nowhere is nothing to me now." -- perhaps the saddest realization

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and I used to swing. It was so much fun! I miss that. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the feeling of flying. It seems I never grow too old to remember how it feels to be weightless.
    Grace & peace,
    Kinnery x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in a swing twice. But the satisfying feeling it gives me, the feeling of flying, the feeling of being weightless... i could never ever trade for anything, even in a gallon of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melee, Mary, ab, Karen, kinnery, and haze, thanks so much for your comments! I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thanks for a lovely memory! I fell off swings too a few times though, ouch. But for the most part, such a great experience. Lovely blog you have. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The joy of going nowhere is nothing to me now.
    Wow. This really made me think.
    I loved the swings as a girl, but I could never swing for long before feeling queasy.

    ReplyDelete