Thursday, September 22, 2011

iPod Writing Exercise

 Guidelines taken from The Midnight Train of Thought:

 1. Take a Technological Purveyor of Music (such as an iPod) and set it to shuffle.

2. As soon as the first song starts playing, start writing. Don't put too much thought into the process, and don't bother trying to force the writing to the song -- just let the music carry your pen along.

3. When the song stops playing, stop writing. Don't edit anything.

 
___

Insensatez by Astrud Gilberto (2:48)

Low whispers slip through the trees.  The sun is setting-- orange, yellow, and deep pink warm the Autumn sky behind these durable, drafty trees.

"I'll never be able to find him," Jane says, her voice like a kitten, high-pitched and small.

Jane snaps a branch off the tree and holds a fallen leaf in her hands.
___

Violin Concerto by Antonio Vivaldi (5:45)

"Where are my diamonds?" Cynthia says to her little sister who is twirling the dog's tail and giggling.

"I think the boy next door asked me to borrow them for his steam ship.  You see, he thinks he's a pirate."

Cynthia hates being the oldest sister.  She wishes she was an only child at times like this.  The dish where she left the diamonds is full of old soap.  She scrubs her face with her hands, tears in the water.

Maybe I'm too kind and good to others.  Maybe they're all happy to be brats.

Her other sister, a little older than the first, comes in with a diamond necklace and bracelet, and throws them in her hands.

"You owe me," she says and walks away without waiting for a reply.
___
Follow Me by John Denver (2:56)

Wheat fields drip with rain, the whole place believing that there's something more than this world.

"I can't be here without the thought of something better," the farmer says.

"It's like I need a crystal ball, but even that would be pointless.  What's the use in knowing what's going to happen if it's not going to be how I want it?"
 ___
Flower - Richard Stoltzman (5:04)

How many bubbles floated there, Emily could not count.  She watched them carry their rainbows and then break on the rose bushes, those sharp thorns, good for crushing dreams. 

How can I behave more like a lady?  Emily asked God.

I think if we could enter those bubbles we'd find out that they're disappointing.  No desire for eternity.

I want to be a god, Emily scrunches her nose.  No, too much responsibility and no room for simple following.

I quite like being Emily, I would say.

*
For another writing exercise, please check out the post, Through A Character's Eyes.

9 comments:

  1. I like the tears in the water, partly because I did not see that coming. And this exercise is really cool. I can see how it would help you get in touch with your subconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! Great song snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are all wonderful, Jade! Even though it's short, I like the first one best! It makes me wonder and the writing is beautiful and heartbreaking. Also, I like how you included how long the songs are, that was a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now is good exercise. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave you an award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun project! I'll have to try this ... although I dont know if I'll be brave enough to post what I write!

    Thanks for always helping me get the creative juices flowing.

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm ... I'll try this exercise with my old wind-up record player and vinyl records. I am no good with all this new technology.

    I bought a new cell-phone which takes photos. Whenever it rings I always press the wrong button and take a picture of my ear.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete