Monday, September 19, 2011

The Way Back

Dear Journal,

How good it feels to come to you after a day of frustrations.  How I love words, to paint with them freely, watercolor pencils tucked away for a later day, forgetting the smudges on my paper and my failed attempts to blend and shade, no longer feeling like a fragment, my hands clean of eraser shreds.

The solution:  I aim to focus on words and allow myself to express my thoughts in ways that feel most natural.  There are colors in writing, too-- the cobalt blue cabinets in a character's kitchen, the blush of an early dawn sky aptly described.  There is beauty here, a different kind of beauty.

Fortunately, we don't have to do it all.  For now, I'd like to focus completely on my creative writing projects.  To paint with words is more fulfilling to me, and true to who I am.  It takes the same amount of work to create a polished creative writing piece, but it personally feels more rewarding to me than painting or drawing.  This is where I've found my true passion, and after the disappointments, I am happy to understand this now.  Even when I've begun to wander away from writing practice, I always find my way back. 


***
What is your creative passion?
Is it a hobby or interest you had as a child?

13 comments:

  1. How was your trip? To answer your questions...Music! I think I was born with the need to express myself in rhythm, melody, and lyric. For better or worse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful piece of writing. :-)

    I started with words and moved to images, to paint, to colour...but I too have returned to words. As you so elequently say, you can paint with those too.

    A lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ab,

    I had a really good trip, thanks for asking. :) I didn't do much eavesdropping on the bus (like I mentioned in my last post) because the passenger next to me kept me in conversation...made the ride go by quickly and I got some interesting ideas now! The most memorable parts of my trip were seeing my family for the first time in a couple of months, my sister's engagement party, and reconnecting with a good friend. I also got what I need for my wedding (dress, shoes, etc.) :O

    You are a very talented musician. Can't wait to hear more songs of yours. "For better or worse" ~I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susannah, sounds like we've had a very similar journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first paragraph: Ahh, beauty! I love this post, it really resonates with me.

    My creative passion is writing as well. Also music, but music can be a little harder and sometimes more frustating; writing is consistently more soothing. (Perhaps even more rewarding, as you said.) I actually didn't write that often as a child. I'd say I drew more often than I wrote. I was an extremely unhappy teen until I discovered how much I loved to write. Writing has helped me become comfortable with myself and thoughts of my future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melee, I'm glad you could relate to this. Writing has done the same for me... made me feel more comfortable with who I am and is a great way to share thoughts with others.

    I really love your writing and the song you posted on your blog that time! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! Love visiting your blog!

    Lola x
    http://lola-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and love your post!!

    Right now, I am not sure what my creative passion would be. I have been healing from candida for a few years now. I am pretty much healed and ready to get on with my life. I think I am going to get busy redoing my bathroom. It is in need of a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I love words, to paint with them freely, watercolor pencils tucked away for a later day, forgetting the smudges on my paper and my failed attempts to blend and shade, no longer feeling like a fragment, my hands clean of eraser shreds.
    This was so beautiful! Such pretty images you've painted with words and metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what my creative passion is. Why is that?

    This is really beautiful, Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to have you back Jade. I can identify with your passion and the anxiety about spreading myself too thin.I haven't had much chance to write lately (or read) but I am determined to find my way back too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful to have found where our passions are best spent! I agree--though I dabble in music and other projects, writing feels natural and is where I do my best work.

    Best Wishes,
    Abigail
    www.openingmyvein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So good to hear from all of you. I will be visiting your blogs soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete