Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sacred Moment: Claudio Monteverdi


As a child, I had been interested in Classical music (I've always loved music), but did not actually listen on my own until I was about 19 or 20.  I've always been intrigued by the polished sound of it, the elegance, beauty, precision, and emotion my favorite pieces hold within them, how traditional music feels incredibly alive, misty and heavy with the enchanted past.

Even then, I didn't really branch out beyond Bach, Beethoven, and Vivaldi.  Although I still enjoy these three, since then, the music of Mozart, Brahms, Chopin, and earlier composers, like Dowland, Sheppard, and Monteverdi, has found its way into my library.  (Lately I've enjoyed the Renaissance and Medieval music I've been discovering even more than the later, more popular Classical music.)

The late Renaissance Italian composer, Claudio Monteverdi, is a new favorite of mine, and an excellent album of his work is Duets & Solos sung by Emma Kirkby (soprano) and Evelynn Tubb (alto); Consort Musick Orchestra; conducted by Anthony Rooley.  (I tend to favor Italian composers.  I don't think it's a mental prejudice; it just might be in my blood to enjoy their romantic styles.  I love the viola da gamba.)

The album begins with madrigals and secular songs, many of which I adore, and then concludes with sacred ones.  The sacred ones have been on repeat today.

The video above features my favorite track from the album: Venite, sitientes ad aquas, a sacred Motet sung in Latin.  It is based on Isaiah 55:1: All you who thirst, come to the waters.

Enjoy a sacred moment.  For today, carry that sacredness and purity everywhere you go in everything you do.
*
Thank you to everyone who read/commented on my previous postYou are the best!

*
I'm currently working on a new short story.  It's about six pages long and I am almost finished.

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't surprise me at all that you are into the viola da gamba or earlier music. You seem like a thoughtful soul. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be revelling in the beasutiful atmosphere of it all - music creates a world all of its own

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love classical music. Truth be known, I love all music--nearly. Different music speaks to my different moods and circumstances.

    At work (school) it's the classical that is played most in my office.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i was introduced with classical music when i was littler.. they seem to touch hearts.

    ReplyDelete