Thursday, December 5, 2013

On Fear of Regretting Art: A Consolation

photo credit
Joy is the budding of an artist who knows herself and is content with who she is, who looks lovingly upon her own work, flaws and speckles and all. A joyful artist isn't so terrified of the awesome shadow of God's face, His shoulder, His hands, upon her work, that she quits art forever.

"Look, Father, at what I've made," she says, and whether she's created a scribble, a sketch, a mural, or a novel, I think God says, "Well done, my daughter. How about another?"

I don't think we should constantly and obsessively question whether or not what we're writing is truthful or good, but ask ourselves at the very end if we would like to publish it, and go from there. I'd like my art to be more like prayer, like a knotted ribbon I can loosen and tie into a beautiful bow.

L.M. Montgomery, one of my very favorite authors, once wrote, "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?" I've found that quote bittersweet and true, the last word yet reminding me that tomorrow will often come lugging a bundle of mistakes. Strewn with mistakes or not, tomorrow is something I continuously look forward to as I drink in evening silence. Come morning, I hope to humbly speak from a place of truthful silence where pure tomorrow lives, and I hope my art to be wise and good, but not to burden myself with having to be perfectly truthful always. Amen.

7 comments:

  1. you're right. i think we (i) all tend to judge ourselves to harshly, but you're right. you do write beautifully, though, that cannot be denied x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often 'easier' to delete every word than to add to them, out of harsh judgment, and to suffer through trying create the perfect masterpiece, but I'd like to get past this tendency. Easier said than done, I know! :)
      Thank you so much, helen, for your sweet words, and thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Amen & amen. This is exactly the mindset I hold toward my work: standards of grace, not perfection. You've captured this sentiment beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is a beautiful thought AND philosophy "I'd like my art to be more like prayer". Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jade! So good to see you again.
    I love that your friend is so comfortable with herself. I tend to agonize and that's pretty silly. Never will be perfect, it's better if I stop trying to think I will be someday. Thank you for your encouragement to those who think about publishing their works. If God plants it on your heart, go for it!

    On to tomorrow. The only place where there are no mistakes!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many ways can one say the word "Beautiful"? Thanks for sharing your art!

    ReplyDelete