Saturday, December 14, 2013

Peace to You

This poem I wrote was inspired by Charles Dickens' Christmas writings, A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories, which I've just completed, and also a scene I witnessed today while at home looking beyond my backyard. It is a blend of real life and my imagination.

photo credit


 *

PEACE TO YOU


Peace to you,
tall children
clad
in red,
yellow, and blue
skidding and peaking
through
the snowy arborvitae.

Peace to you,
tall children
with hockey sticks
and skates.
Oh, pooh! There goes
your gliding puck 
stuck
in gooey berry
muck
beneath
the snowy arborvitae.

Peace to you,
chilly-voiced
tall children
calling to each other
behind the fresh pine
as chimney clouds go sailing
and wafting
through icy white sky.

Peace and praise to you,
Purest Sky!
Hallo! Whoop! There goes the puck
gliding and flying again.
Peace to all Your falling,
skating
ever-tall children
this snowy Christmastime!

*

Happy Advent!

I hope you are preparing for Christmas cheerfully. :)

7 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, Jade! I don't know if it's something you might be interested in, but there is a Christmas Carol poetry contest at Dickensblog: http://dickensblog.typepad.com/dickensblog/2013/12/poetry-contest.html

    Hope you're having a lovely Advent season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jade! You have a very busy backyard view! How fun to watch, and obviously inspiring. I used to skate when I was younger, we had a makeshift ice rink in our backyard.

    I love the Advent Season. I am continuing to learn a lot about waiting, and being patient.
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil ! :) I had to use my imagination pretty strongly, but it was an amusing scene from what I could see, and I drew from that. How fun that you skated in your backyard—I have very little ice skating experience, hehe.

      Advent is a perfect time for remembering to develop patience, something I'm working on in myself as I move through a Henri Nouwen devotional for the season. :)

      Thanks for your kind comments as usual! Blessings in return.

      Delete
  3. Jade, this is such a sweet poem! It is fun and spunky, but I can tell you really handpicked the words to flow together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! I was working in a somewhat rhythmic rhyming form, so I tried to pick words that would follow that form. :) <3 I like the idea of handpicking words...reminds me of handpicking fruits or flowers.. Hmm..

      Talk to you soon! :)

      Delete
  4. this is great! I love writing, but fail more than anything. :)
    lauurraaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Writing is a challenge. I think the love for it is more important than the results.

      Best wishes. :)

      Delete