Friday, January 3, 2014

The Writing and the Life United


"I see you are frustrated," says the muse within me. "Let the words come honestly and freely, with playfulness and clarity."

The inflated critic within me stifles my thoughts and keeps them stuck, unlike me, and untrue. When I breathe well with a relaxed posture, Ludivico Einaudi's passionate, contemplative piano music in my ears, I feel less like tearing up the pages and starting over again and again. I say, "Thank you critic for your feedback and for your desire to improve my writing, but I disagree with some of your complaints."

Sometimes I do nothing that seems important. I'll look at snow eddies through the window and daydream, drink a cup of breakfast tea, or read books that contain the honesty I admire. And these are the solitary times when new ideas are gathered. Without strain, the words lightly float toward me like little lily pads, slowly, slowly. 

Where does good writing come from?  I believe that it comes from a life well-lived. It doesn't have to be filled with incredible adventures, with skydiving and leaping off cliffs, or owning yachts, and mansions that rise up into the sky, or an impressive collection of beautiful books, or fifty friends. To me, it means living authentically, kindly, and simplistically, like holding a fallen flower with its bent stem and tiny dew drops, careful of the petals, holding it as a child, and forgetting the right things.

*

May peace be with you, dear readers.

*

Who/what are your greatest inspirations?

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I think the greatest artists are/were those with unglamorous lives but the right attitude. Einaudi is wonderful, and Yiruma (different style, similar genre) also inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that great writing comes from an authentic life well lived. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your wise post, Jade. I think creativity often comes when things feel right - living a life true to yourself, being thankful and grateful for the little things, appreciating nature and the rhythms of life. Also trying not to think too much, and remembering to have fun and smile! It's certainly not easy, and for me I need to remind myself of these things frequently!

    Sometimes an apt quote can inspire me and change my energy from a place of despondency to a place of thankfulness and contentment.

    The Reiki principles for healing resonate with me:

    For today only, anger not, worry not.
    Be grateful and humble.
    Do your work with appreciation.
    Be kind to all beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great aspirations. Thanks for sharing, Mark. :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post Jade! I agree, the best writing is authentic to the writer. Have you happen to have read Ann Voskamp's "A Thousand Gifts"? This post reminded me of it, and I think you may enjoy it greatly, especially since you have a bent towards living a life brimming with poetry =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny you would mention it. I've seen that book everywhere these days and decided to add it to my to read list. I'm glad we're now friends on Goodreads so we can share books! :)

      Delete
  5. My muse, Big Jenny (Remember her?), is a bit more gruff with me, but it is all with love. :]

    ReplyDelete